Banana bread has got to be the ultimate sweet bread comfort food. My mother in law makes banana bread a lot. She seems to whip up a batch of it with a memorized recipe. Every visitor to her home swoons over it. When I realized what a recipe person I am, I set out to make the very best banana bread recipe known to humanity and not to brag, but I think I nailed it.
This bread has a secret ingredient (unless you’re thoroughly southern, in which case, it might not be a secret): sour cream.
You heard me.
Sour cream absolutely MAKES this bread. The sour cream brings a texture and moisture to the bread that make it *just* dense enough, but not too heavy. It’s divine.
This large recipe can be made into two regular-sized loaves, 4 dozen (ish) muffins, or my personal favorite, 9-10 mini loaves. Until I am able to invest in a good mini loaf pan, I have been buying these aluminum versions made by Reynolds.
I like having mini loaves for a few reasons. First of all, we tend not to eat the whole batch as quickly because once a mini loaf is done, we won’t open another one. Also, it’s perfect for dropping treats off at the neighbor’s porch or delivering to a friend. It’s a great size for freezing, as well.
The Best Banana Bread
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 2.5 cups white sugar
- 3 eggs
- 6 medium ripe bananas
- 16 oz sour cream
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 tsp baking soda
- 4.5 cups flour
- Grease 9-10 mini loaf pans and place them on a cookie sheet. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place butter and sugar in bowl of mixer with paddle attachment and mix until combined.
- In another bowl mash bananas thoroughly. Add sour cream, vanilla, cinnamon, and eggs to bananas and mix until well-combined. In a third bowl, whisk flour, baking soda, and salt together until well-combined.
- Turn on stand mixer to low setting and add the banana mixture to butter mixture. Once well combined, add flour mixture about one cup at a time. Stop paddle when just combined and scrape the bowl with a rubber spatula to incorporate everything.
- Portion batter among the mini loaf pans. Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes and check for doneness. Depending on how hot your oven runs, the mini loaves will be done cooking between 35-50 minutes.
- recipe makes two regular sized loaves or about 4 dozen muffins.
- to make regular sized loaves, follow instructions relatively the same but increase bake time to about one hour.
- to make into muffins, check for doneness around 20 minutes.
- I grease with butter. It’s better that way, for obvious reasons. Simply smear a thin layer of butter around the inside of the loaf pans.
- Banana bread is done when the middle is no longer gooey and a toothpick comes out clean.